Yoga is an excellent form of exercise for building both strength and increased flexibility, but it also is a very helpful way of becoming more in tune with your body. And being in touch with what you experience in your body plays an important role in emotional healing (because of how the body and the mind are interconnected).
Below are lists of local yoga studios and recommended yoga mats and clothes (based on my research and experience). Note that most yoga studios will also have yoga mats which you can use.
Harrisonburg Yoga Studios:
- The Center (a part of Ice House Studios, which also houses Breathe Pilates)
- Shenandoah Yoga
- The Nest
- Jade Harmony Professional
- Manduka PRO Yoga Mat
- Hugger Mugger Para Rubber Mat
- Gaiam Athletic 2gripMAT
Yoga Mat Bag:
- You do not need special clothes for yoga—comfortable, stretchy clothes are sufficient (and be prepared to practice yoga barefoot). But if you decide to purchase clothing for yoga, I do recommend prAna for both men and women.
- In addition to brands like prAna there are many options for women’s activewear.
- For men I do especially recommend the prAna Men’s Sutra Pants. They’re well made, comfortable, and come in a wide range of sizes.