Book: Jayber Crow
A Novel (Port William)
Shortlink to This Book:
Below courtesy Amazon.com ~ Disclaimer ~ Updated 12/2/2023, 3:23am EST
List Price: $16.95
Lowest New Price: $12.26
Lowest Used Price: $5.36
“This is a book about Heaven,” says Jayber Crow, “but I must say too that . . . I have wondered sometimes if it would not finally turn out to be a book about Hell.” It is 1932 and he has returned to his native Port William to become the town's barber.
Orphaned at age ten, Jayber Crow’s acquaintance with loneliness and want have made him a patient observer of the human animal, in both its goodness and frailty.
He began his search as a "pre-ministerial student" at Pigeonville College. There, freedom met with new burdens and a young man needed more than a mirror to find himself. But the beginning of that finding was a short conversation with "Old Grit," his profound professor of New Testament Greek.
"You have been given questions to which you cannot be given answers. You will have to live them out―perhaps a little at a time."
"And how long is that going to take?"
"I don't know. As long as you live, perhaps."
"That could be a long time."
"I will tell you a further mystery," he said. "It may take longer."
Wendell Berry’s clear-sighted depiction of humanity’s gifts―love and loss, joy and despair―is seen though his intimate knowledge of the Port William Membership.
Categories (Click any to search for more books with that keyword.)
- Literature & Fiction » Genre Fiction » Small Town & Rural
- Literature & Fiction » United States » Southern
- Literature & Fiction » Contemporary
- Literature & Fiction » Literary
- Arborist Merchandising Root » Self Service » Special Features Stores » 34875086-8a6a-4dfe-b095-4d85fb30b3ba_0 » 34875086-8a6a-4dfe-b095-4d85fb30b3ba_4701 » Most-loved deals on books
- Arborist Merchandising Root » Self Service » Special Features Stores » 34875086-8a6a-4dfe-b095-4d85fb30b3ba_0 » 34875086-8a6a-4dfe-b095-4d85fb30b3ba_4501 » ASINs for HQP
Please Note: The inclusion of a book here does not equal an endorsement of all aspects of the book. I encourage you to look for the elements within each book that are helpful, while recognizing that you will undoubtedly encounter things which you disagree with (just as I do). Please do your own research regarding any book that interests you in order to determine if it might be a good fit for you.