Book: Deep Work
Rules for Focused Success in a Distracted World
Shortlink to This Book:
Below courtesy Amazon.com ~ Disclaimer ~ Updated 10/1/2023, 1:19am EST
List Price: $29.00
Lowest New Price: $16.00
Lowest Used Price: $1.91
One of the most valuable skills in our economy is becoming increasingly rare. If you master this skill, you'll achieve extraordinary results.
Deep work is the ability to focus without distraction on a cognitively demanding task. It's a skill that allows you to quickly master complicated information and produce better results in less time. Deep work will make you better at what you do and provide the sense of true fulfillment that comes from craftsmanship. In short, deep work is like a super power in our increasingly competitive twenty-first century economy. And yet, most people have lost the ability to go deep-spending their days instead in a frantic blur of e-mail and social media, not even realizing there's a better way.
In DEEP WORK, author and professor Cal Newport flips the narrative on impact in a connected age. Instead of arguing distraction is bad, he instead celebrates the power of its opposite. Dividing this book into two parts, he first makes the case that in almost any profession, cultivating a deep work ethic will produce massive benefits. He then presents a rigorous training regimen, presented as a series of four "rules," for transforming your mind and habits to support this skill.
A mix of cultural criticism and actionable advice, DEEP WORK takes the reader on a journey through memorable stories -- from Carl Jung building a stone tower in the woods to focus his mind, to a social media pioneer buying a round-trip business class ticket to Tokyo to write a book free from distraction in the air -- and no-nonsense advice, such as the claim that most serious professionals should quit social media and that you should practice being bored. DEEP WORK is an indispensable guide to anyone seeking focused success in a distracted world.
Categories (Click any to search for more books with that keyword.)
- Specialty Stores » Textbook Rental ASINs
- Self-Help » Success
- Self-Help » Time Management
- Business & Money » Job Hunting & Careers » Guides
- Business & Money » Skills » Time Management
- Science & Math » Behavioral Sciences
- Arborist Merchandising Root » Self Service » Custom Stores » 5edb3046-f9c1-4621-85f5-a4f7c2464a28_0 » 5edb3046-f9c1-4621-85f5-a4f7c2464a28_1101 » Back to School
- Arborist Merchandising Root » Self Service » Custom Stores » 5edb3046-f9c1-4621-85f5-a4f7c2464a28_0 » 5edb3046-f9c1-4621-85f5-a4f7c2464a28_401 » Best Books of 2016 » Business & Leadership
- Arborist Merchandising Root » Self Service » Special Features Stores » 34875086-8a6a-4dfe-b095-4d85fb30b3ba_0 » 34875086-8a6a-4dfe-b095-4d85fb30b3ba_7701 » Books Deals
- Arborist Merchandising Root » Self Service » Special Features Stores » 34875086-8a6a-4dfe-b095-4d85fb30b3ba_0 » 34875086-8a6a-4dfe-b095-4d85fb30b3ba_9101 » Popover Test
- Arborist Merchandising Root » Self Service » Special Features Stores » 34875086-8a6a-4dfe-b095-4d85fb30b3ba_0 » 34875086-8a6a-4dfe-b095-4d85fb30b3ba_7401 » Books in Bulk
Please Note: The inclusion of a book here does not equal an endorsement of all aspects of the book. I encourage you to look for the elements within each book that are helpful, while recognizing that you will undoubtedly encounter things which you disagree with (just as I do). Please do your own research regarding any book that interests you in order to determine if it might be a good fit for you.