Book: Trauma and the Body
Trauma and the Body
A Sensorimotor Approach to Psychotherapy
Pag Ogden, Kekuni Minton and Clare Pain
Links: Amazon | Bookshop.org
Shortlink to This Book:
~ Search for more books by the same author(s) or references to this book on the Transitions website.
Below courtesy Amazon.com ~ Disclaimer ~ Updated Just Now
List Price: $49.95
Lowest New Price: $38.36
Lowest Used Price: $25.95
The body, for a host of reasons, has been left out of the "talking cure."Psychotherapists who have been trained in models of psychodynamic, psychoanalytic, or cognitive therapeutic approaches are skilled at listening to the language and affect of the client. They track the clients' associations, fantasies, and signs of psychic conflict, distress, and defenses. Yet while the majority of therapists are trained to notice the appearance and even the movements of the client's body, thoughtful engagement with the client's embodied experience has remained peripheral to traditional therapeutic interventions. Trauma and the Body is a detailed review of research in neuroscience, trauma, dissociation, and attachment theory that points to the need for an integrative mind-body approach to trauma. The premise of this book is that, by adding body-oriented interventions to their repertoire, traditionally trained therapists can increase the depth and efficacy of their clinical work. Sensorimotor psychotherapy is an approach that builds on traditional psychotherapeutic understanding but includes the body as central in the therapeutic field of awareness, using observational skills, theories, and interventions not usually practiced in psychodynamic psychotherapy. By synthesizing bottom-up and top down interventions, the authors combine the best of both worlds to help chronically traumatized clients find resolution and meaning in their lives and develop a new, somatically integrated sense of self.
Topics addressed include: Cognitive, emotional, and sensorimotor dimensions of information processing • modulating arousal • dyadic regulation and the body • the orienting response • defensive subsystems • adaptation and action systems • treatment principles • skills for working with the body in present time • developing somatic resources for stabilization • processing
Categories (Click any to search for more books with that keyword.)
- Specialty Stores » Textbook Rental ASINs
- Health, Fitness & Dieting » Mental Health » Post-traumatic Stress Disorder
- Health, Fitness & Dieting » Psychology & Counseling » Counseling
- Health, Fitness & Dieting » Psychology & Counseling » Psychotherapy, TA & NLP
- Medical Books » Psychology » Clinical Psychology
- Medical Books » Psychology » Counseling
- Medical Books » Psychology » Psychotherapy, TA & NLP
- Self Service » Special Features Stores » Discover Promo 2012
- Self Service » Special Features Stores » Citi Free One-Day Shipping
- Self Service » Special Features Stores » Sponsored Selections
- Self Service » Special Features Stores » ASINs for HQP
- Social Sciences » Psychology » Clinical Psychology
- Social Sciences » Psychology » Psychotherapy
Please Note: The inclusion of a book here does not equal an endorsement of all aspects of the book. I encourage you to look for the elements within each book that are helpful, while recognizing that you will undoubtedly encounter things which you disagree with (just as I do). Please do your own research regarding any book that interests you in order to determine if it might be a good fit for you.
Browse Other Books
Return to the Book List
If you are on a mobile connection you may wish to use Coverless Mode instead.